Canberra State & Regional Sponsor Update
Published Date: 26th November 2021
Impacted Offshore candidates are still eligible to claim Permanent Residence points if they were impacted by Covid-19 travel restrictions. Read how this is possible.
Permanent Residency points for the state of Canberra, also known as Canberra Matrix gives eligible candidates points for specific factors. Many people faced troubles because of the Covid-19 travels restrictions impacting their return to Australia. This also resulted in change of point allocation for candidates who planned on arriving in Australia for work, study or residential purposes. To simplify this, the authorities have now given candidates a chance to raise waiver if they faced issues because of specific factors. The candidates who meet the given criteria will be able to claim Canberra Matrix points.
- In case the candidate was residing in Canberra before departure, they may be able to claim points for the entire duration that they were overseas.
- Matrix points can also be acquired from the date the candidate began with online study at an ACT tertiary institution.
- Matrix points can be claimed from the date the candidate began with online study at an ACT tertiary institution.
- In addition to the factor that requires the candidate to return and reside in Canberra by 1st March 2022, they must also meet the minimum ACT employment eligibility criteria before being able to submit the matrix.
The candidates who have applications for ACT 491/190 visa subclass shall meet the minimum eligibility criteria at the time of Matrix Submission. Candidates impacted by Covid-19 will be able to raise a waiver of “continuous employment” if:
14 day self-isolation requirement – from 13 August 2021
- If you have self-isolated for 14 days due to COVID -19, you can request a waiver of the continuous employment criteria. A waiver request must include evidence of the need to self- isolate e.g., return date to Australia, close contact etc.
- You must still meet the 3/6 months employment criteria (either before and / or after the self-isolation period) at the date of Matrix submission.
ACT business closure / reduced working hours – from 13 August 2021
- If your work hours are reduced, you are required to take unpaid leave, or if you have lost your job due to the COVID -19 impact on an ACT business, you can request a waiver of the continuous employment criteria. A waiver request must include a written statement from the employer confirming the period (start and end dates) of the business closure and / or reduced working hours, or when your employment ceased.
- You must still meet the three / six months employment criteria before a 491 / 190 Matrix can be submitted. However, each week worked that meets the 20 / 35 hrs pw criteria, either before, during and / or after the COVID -19 impact on ACT business, can be counted towards the period of claimed employment at date of matrix submission.
Read more such news articles on our website www.visawalk.com/news